Saturday, July 31, 2010

Halibut chowder for my Philip


Phil has wanted me to make
 Halibut chowder for years
and I never have because
 I thought all the recipes I looked at sounded...not so good!

So three weeks ago I tackled this soup
and dumped all my favorite things together
and
it turned out delicious.

So I first like to set the table, my favorite
part of the meal.

Then recruit good help...

I first cut up a few potatoes and carrots
and par-boil them in a little chicken broth...

then I cut up my peppers and onions and saute them
in a little olive oil with sea salt.

then when the carrots are almost soft I add the sauteed
onions and peppers.

I use fat free half and half you can use the real stuff
I have also used coconut milk this is real creamy...

I melt all of the cheese and cream together
then dump it in also.

For my halibut I always use leftovers from the night before
and it doesn't matter how its been cooked.

Now to control how spicy you want your soup
 with the pepper jack cheese in it.
It is activated with black pepper
so start off with a few shakes first
 and then taste as you go.

then add your crumbled bacon and milk
and thicken with instant potato flakes
and Voila!

This is the first soup
some men
actually went back for 4 bowls!


6 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi,

    Never made a chowder before, but it sounds and looks good! I see you had some great help. That just makes the difference :-)! I always enjoy it when my girls help me out in the kitchen. They helped me preparing the salads for the BBQ too. I could not have done without them.

    Your Philip must have been a happy man eating his chowder at last ;-)!

    Love your china! Happy weekend!

    Lieve groet, Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, that sound's good. And it doesn't sound terribly hard to prepare, of course I'd probably have to have a little girl to help me with the really hard parts. I hope Phil loved his chowder. Beautiful place setting, too, blue would be perfect with chowder. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. im with you on the setting the table being the best part:) always more fun than it should be

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you did a great job on that chowder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks delicious!! How I miss your cooking.......but not the 10 extra pounds I gained when we were there!!! lol

    ReplyDelete