Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ruby and Richard

Ruby redAlign Center has this amazing blog,
I had discovered her tiny shop blog earlier and loved it...
So last night I find
this little piece of Magic.
full of inspiration...
Ruby
That lovely dinner and dessert your husband made for you, Wow.
But look at this throw on the couch....
I can't get it out of my head!
Make yourself a pot of tea,
and Enjoy
Now for the Richard part, He's my Dad look at these amazing
stools he made for our craft day.

sorry blurry picture ,
he made seven of them but two of them
he put bead board on the bottom and this wood
we salvaged out of his family's homestead house .
My Great Grandpa came over from Denmark in the late 1800's
and settled in a little Danish community
in Iowa.
when he pulled into town the first thing he saw was
2 horse thieves hanging in the town square.
I can't imagine what he thought.
5 years ago we got to go through
the house we called the owner
and asked if we could salvage anything
he said yes
so the bead board out of the kitchen
is what I salvaged and the front door knob.
cattle and raccoons had taken it over
but the upstairs trim and the doors
were to die for.
3years later on vacation
with my parents ,Phil and the kids
I couldn't wait to show them this dilapidated beauty..
and they had burned it to the ground....
It was gone!
My Great Grand parents lost the house in the depression
and my Grandparents rented it
and this was the house my Father was born in....
I still have my stools and bead board!




3 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi,

    The stools your dad made look great! You know, it is very fashionable in Holland to work with reclaimed wood. You can buy tables, cupboards etc. Piet Hein Eek, a Dutch designer, became very famous with his reclaimed furniture! Your stolks are even more special because of the special story that is behind them and the fact that your father made them!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Lieve groet, Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heidi,
    I was surprised to find me here!
    so sweet of you to mention my little blog!I'm glad you found me!
    Your stool is lovely,your clever dad! People had hard times in the old days didn't they!
    Hope you are enjoying your weekend!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to check out her blog, Heidi. Those stools are more precious than gold to you. How wonderful that you salvaged the wood and that your own dad made them. Have a blessed Sunday. Diane

    ReplyDelete